Monday, March 12, 2012

"In the world you are just one person, but to one person you may be their world."

Within the next year I will begin teaching; something I never considered doing until I secured a job as an Interventionist at a local middle school.  As an interventionist I work with about 15 special education students on a daily basis.  It is my responsibility to administer personalized accommodations designed to aide each student's academic success.  If I observe that a student is not performing at a satisfactory level, it is my responsibility to figure out why he or she is struggling, and to implement a plan to meet his or her educational goals...  It sounds so clinical.  So rigid.  But every day it becomes more and more obvious to me why God provided me with this job.

My background in Psychology has proven to be significantly helpful as I observe different teaching and learning styles, and as I observe the effect that each student's upbringing has on their performance and behavior at school.  My background in Youth Ministry has proven to be significantly helpful as I take into consideration the reality that I have been given a window of opportunity to leave a meaningful and lasting impression on these student's lives.  When they act out, or have a particularly rough day, I cannot help but wonder what effect their lives outside of school are having on their behavior.  What medications are they on?  Are they taking them regularly?  Has their been a recent medication change?  Is this student over medicated... or misdiagnosed?  Can Mom or Dad read?  Do Mom or Dad help with homework?  Is Mom and/or Dad present?

I have a student who has seen Dad beat Mom in a drunken rage.  Mom and Dad lost custody, and Dad is now in jail.  Granddad and Grandma have custody now; Grandma whose health is going downhill fast.

Everyday, this student is my most challenging.  Teachers do not have sufficient time to provide the one-on-one attention most of these students are in need of.  Most middle school teachers have 100+ students to deal with during any given day.  Their hands are more than full!  I on the other hand have the unique opportunity to put all of my time and energy  -  my heart and soul  -  into meeting the unique needs of this small group of 15+ students.  Every day I have the opportunity to be the world to each one of my students.  Everyday I look forward to going to work.  I do not dread it one bit because I have been blessed with the opportunity to love on, encourage, and make a difference in their lives.  Within the next year I will begin teaching; something I never considered doing until I realized that this is what I was created to do.

1 comment:

  1. I love it Julie! As the parent of a special needs child, you are certainly dead on with your thoughts!!!!

    ReplyDelete